Monday, June 13, 2011

Joseph Sewell My 3rd Great-Grandfather b. about 1815 d. Nov 3, 1899

[Joseph Sewell b. 1816, Essex County, England.
Migrated to US in 1832
Married Eliza Doud in Illinois in 1841.
Moved to Crawford County with daughter Emily & her husband Judson M. Francis a blacksmith.
( I have not verified this yet. I found this information at Migrations.com Researcher Scott Heil.) ]

I found a Census Record for my 3rd Great-Grandfather Joseph Sewall [Sewell] on FamilySearch.org. I was looking for Joseph Sewell but looking at the one I found this is my Joseph Sewell just spelled Sewall. I am glad I checked this one or I would not have made this connection. I knew he had been born in England from what my mom had told me.

I could not find a city on the schedule but it was in Mason County, Illinois on 31st Oct 1850.

He is on line 18 in Family 256, Household 256. He was a farmer. He is 34 on this census which would put him being born around 1816. He was born in Eng. [England]. My mom has him being born in 1815.

In his household are:
19) Eliza Ann 33 yrs old, a female, I can not tell for sure where it says she was born but other information I have has her being born in Vermont.
20) Ira J. Sewall is 9 yrs old, a male, born in Ill. and has attended school within the year.
21) James G. Sewall is 7 yrs old, a male, born in Ill.
22) Lydia M. Sewall 5 yrs old, a female, born in Ill.
23) Thomas I. Sewall 3 yrs old, a male, born in Ill.
24) Lorenzo D. Sewall 5/12 yrs old, a male, born in Ill.
25) Charles Chatfield 17 [12] yrs old, a male, born in Ohio, attended school within the year. I am not sure who this is, but he could be a member of Eliza's family, or a friend or a boarder.
The person who transcribed the information did not include a middle initial for Thomas or Lorenzo.

"U.S. Census Population Schedule, 1850" index and images, ''FamilySearch'' ([http://www.familysearch.org http://www.familysearch.org]); from United States Census Office. 7th Census. Digital images of originals housed at the National Archives, Washington, D.C.. FHL microfilm. Family History Library, Salt Lake City, Utah. Film Number: 442908, Digital GS Number: 4191986, Image Number: 00164, Family: 256, Household: 256.
By 5 June 1860 I found him and his family on Page 15 in Stockbridge, Ingham, Michigan 1860 Cenus Records. This one throwed me off at first because it was done with Initials for the first and middle names. But I am pretty sure this is the right family. I am not sure if the Dowd family that is listed above is any relation to Eliza Ann or not but it seems they would be.

I am including the Dowd family here just in case. They start on line 15-18. Dwelling 115 Family 121.
15) J W Dowd 61 yrs old Male, a retired farmer, Real Estate Value of 1600 and Personal Estate value of 600, born in VT. [Vermont].
16) E Dowd 61 yrs old Female, born in VT. [Vermont].
17) J W Dowd 20 yrs old Male, a farmer, born in NY [New York]. Married within the year.
18) S N [?] Dowd 19 yrs old Female, born in NY [New York] married within the year.
My Sewell family starts on line 28-37. In Dwelling 118 and Family 124.
28) J Sewell 43 yrs old Male, a farmer, Real Estate value of 2100, and Personal Estate Valued at 360, born in Eng [England]. [This would be Joseph Sewell]
29) E Sewell 41 yrs old Female, born in VT [Vermont]. [Eliza Ann Sewell]
30) I J Sewell 18 yrs old Male, a farm hand, born in Ill. [Illinois], attended school within the year. [Ira J. Sewell]
31) J. G Sewell 17 yrs old Male, a farm hand, born in Ill. [Illinois], attended school within the year. [James G. Sewell]
32) L. M Sewell 14 yrs old Female, born in Ill. [Illinois], attended school within the year. [Lydia M. Sewell]
33) S. T Sewell 12 yrs old Male, born in Ill. [Illinois], attended school within the year. [This one should be Thomas I. Sewell]
34) S [L] D Sewell 10 yrs old Male, born in Ill. [Illinois], attended school within the year. [This one should be Lorenzo D. Sewell]
35) E G Sewell 8 yrs old Male, born in Mich. [Michigan], attended school within the year. [ This one I'm not sure but it could be Electa Jerusah except Electa is a female in other records]
36) E M Sewell 4 yrs old Female, born in Mich. [Michigan], attended school within the year. [This is Emily uncertain of middle name]
37) H L Sewell 2 yrs old Female, born in Mich. [Michigan]. [This is Harriet L. Sewell]

"U.S. Census Population Schedule, 1860" index, FamilySearch; (http://familysearch.org), from United States Census Office. 8th Census. Digital images of originals housed at the National Archives, Washington, D.C.. FHL microfilm. Family History Library, Salt Lake City, Utah. Film Number: 803545, DGS Number: 4232698, Image Number: 00105, NARA Number: M653 Note: The actual image can be viewed at www.footnote.com (fees may apply).


Name: Joseph Sewell
Gender: Male
Burial Date:
Burial Place:
Death Date: 03 Nov 1899
Death Place: Grayling, Crawford, Michigan
Age: 84
Birth Date: 1815
Birthplace: England
Occupation: None
Race: White
Marital Status: Widowed
Spouse's Name:
Father's Name:
Father's Birthplace:
Mother's Name:
Mother's Birthplace:
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: B53287-2
System Origin: Michigan-EASy
Source Film Number: 965633
Reference Number: v 1 p 30
Collection: Michigan Deaths and Burials, 1800-1995. Name: Joseph Sewell.
Family Search Record Search on http://www.familysearch.org.


I am pretty sure this is the correct Joseph Sewell but have not seen an actual document. The family had moved to Crawford county and I have information that Eliza Ann died 3 Feb 1892 but not proven yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment or suggestion!!!! If you want me to respond to a comment or suggestion please send me your email address. Otherwise I will not respond or comment with the exception of maybe on Facebook or Google+.