Saturday, April 30, 2011

52 Weeks of Personal Genealogy & History - Weather

Week 18. Weather. Do you have any memorable weather memories from your childhood? How did your family dope and pass the time with adverse weather? When faced with bad weather in the present day, what do you do when you're stuck at home?

I don't remember to many spring or summer memorable weather. I can only remember one time of mom having us kids go down in the basement because of a possible tornado. We had most of our bad weather in the winter time. Sometimes being snowed in for a week or so.

We didn't have our so called up to the minute weather bulletins (which sometimes they don't tell us now about all the time until it's already went through). We didn't have the news like we have now. Only real important news would break into our regular programming.

We would get the rain, wind and someone was always complaining about the weather in some way or other. Much like we do today.

If the power went out we had candles or lanterns we would light and we always tried to have a flashlight handy with good batteries. When it was nasty out we would  play games, or work jigsaw puzzles. Not much different than when it wasn't nasty out.

The one thing I really hated was when I was babysitting and had to walk home in the nasty weather especially if it was lightning out or foggy and windy. I would usually have been watching a scary movie, so my mind would play tricks on me. Especially if we were having the same kind of weather that was in the movie.

I still don't like lightning and when it is close by I move away from the windows as much as possible, and I don't run water. I unplug the computer and router when it is thundering and lightning. I'm not as bad as I used to be. I used to unplug the TV, VCR, Microwave and then after I got a computer it would get unplugged also. We always have a flashlight handy, I have my soy candles in different places around the house and we have our oil lamps. I always try to make sure we have some water in jugs and alot of times I make the coffee for morning when it's nasty just in case of power outage. That way we will have coffee in the morning just have to warm it up.

I think because of all the modern technology we have today we hear more about all the adverse weather all over the world more than we did when we were kids.

My thoughts and prayers go out to all that have been affected by the weather. I have family and friends all over the globe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment or suggestion!!!! If you want me to respond to a comment or suggestion please send me your email address. Otherwise I will not respond or comment with the exception of maybe on Facebook or Google+.